As part of the 50th Anniversary of the British Cattle Veterinary Association we are raising money for Send A Cow – executing some heroic feats across the length and breadth of the UK.
Send A Cow is a charity that many of us have supported over the years and we have decided to support them as an association. There is a further dimension to this support. Some of us were lucky enough to have been taught by Andrew Madel. Andrew lectured at the RVC and inspired generations of farm animal vets. In his later years he suffered from Multiple Sclerosis but his spirit remained undimmed and throughout his illness he remained a staunch supporter of Send A Cow until he passed away in 2013. There is within Send A Cow a virtual herd – the Andrew Madel Herd – and what we are proposing is to put the money raised through BCVA into that herd in memory of Andrew.
The host of activities we are undertaking throughout May 2017 include:
- Cycling from Land’s End to John O’Groats between 7th May and 20th May. Some of us including BCVA president Andrew Cobner are cycling the whole way but we are doing it as a relay involving people from the various organisations and communities that BCVA work with. We will have vets, farmers, Defra/APHA personnel, pharmaceutical company personnel as well as friends and family joining in at different points along the route. UK Chief Vet Nigel Gibbens is joining for the first four days. We want this to be about the veterinary and agricultural community working together so please join in, sponsor or contact the BCVA Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) to find out how else you can help with fund raising. To donate direct, go to https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/BCVASendACowTheAndrewMadelHerd
- Kayaking the length of Loch Ness on 18th May. Renowned Devon vet and wildlife photographer Rupert Kirkwood will paddle 23 miles from Fort Augustus to Inverness to raise money for the cause. Also go to https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/BCVASendACowTheAndrewMadelHerd to donate to his efforts
- Cycling from The Wash to Anchor on the Welsh border on 30th April and 1st May, then walking from Anchor to Aberystwyth on 4th and 5th May. The 200-mile England stretch is being cycled by a crack team from both the Nottingham Vet School and McMurtry and Harding Vets. Go to https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/NFAVS-BCVA-England-EW to support this effort. The team is bringing a ‘baton’ – a British Lions rugby shirt – to pass on to the Welsh team at the border. The Welsh leg is then being walked by Christianne Glossop and a team from APHA and the Welsh Government, again taking two days. To donate to this effort, please go to https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/BCVASendACowTheAndrewMadelHerd
- Climbing Northern Ireland’s largest peak – Slieve Donard – on 18th May. As a sign of unity and support for the British Lions Tour of New Zealand 2017, the five Chief Vets across UK and Ireland (Martin Blake the Irish CVO, Nigel Gibbons the UK CVO, Christianne Glossop the Welsh CVO, Robert Huey the Northern Ireland CVO and Sheila Voas the Scottish CVO) will all meet for the first time to tackle this peak. They will be taking a British and Irish Lions shirt and an inflatable cow on their journey… To find out more and support their efforts go to https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ChiefVeterinaryOfficersclimbamountain and follow their efforts on Facebook www.facebook.com/VetsClimbDonard/.
Keep up to date with all the BCVA Send A Cow fundraising activities by joining our Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1870979746489433/
OTHER WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
Organise a 50 miles for 50 years event - If you can’t take part in the LEJOG relay then why not organise a separate one day event? How you travel the 50 miles is up to you – cycle it, walk it, run it, row it – it’s your call. We have non-cyclists raising money in other ways by walking or kayaking or running or simply by holding local fund raising events so there are plenty of ways to join in.
Provide Auction Items
Other ways that you can help
- We will need support vehicles for each leg in case of bike issues, injuries etc.
- Can you help with accommodation at any of the stop points on the itinerary?
- We’ll accept any form of help so if you think of anything else please let us know.
If you are interested in supporting BCVA and raising money for Send a Cow please fill in the Card below or email BCVA at email@example.com.