Who? Cattle vets at all stages of their career. An excellent ‘next step’ following attendance of the foundation courses.
What? Topics include lameness, beef and bull, infectious diseases, mastitis, youngstock and nutrition. All courses are run over either 1.5 or 2 days.
Where? Various locations around the UK.
Why? An opportunity to obtain both technical information and practical application of this information.
Want help completing your CertAVP?
If you are enrolled on the CertAVP course, you can benefit from attending both foundation and advanced BCVA CPD courses. The structure and content have been approved by the RCVS to help you work towards completion of the B (foundation) and C (advanced) modules.
Within this two day course both theory and practical aspects of lameness management in cattle will be covered. The course is ideal for those studying for CertAVP(cattle) as well as for those wanting a practical course in bovine lameness.
- Routine foot care, trimming and footbathing
- Infectious and non-infectious causes of lameness and their treatment, prevention and control
- Risk factors for lameness
- Interaction between nutrition and lameness
- Economics, targets, recording and monitoring systems
- Communication skills to engage with producers/clients
- Apply in-depth knowledge of the management and monitoring of lameness to dairy herds
- Critically evaluate the role of the veterinary surgeon in planned lameness control
- Use evidence based medicine and sound clinical reasoning processes to explain the aetiology, pathology, diagnosis, differential diagnosis, treatment, prognosis and control of lameness
- Have in-depth knowledge of the husbandry and management of dairy cattle in the UK, as related to the control of lameness
- Use their knowledge to construct plans for the control of lameness in dairy and beef herds
AHDB Dairy Healthy Feet Programme
The BCVA Advanced Practitioner Lameness course learning outcomes have been aligned to CertAVP. This course has been extended to a full 2 days to allow supplementary learning outcomes to be covered in order to register as AHDB Dairy Health Feet Programme (DHFP) mobility mentor trained. Delegates will be provided with the all necessary DHFP resources from AHDB Dairy.